The Scholarships have two significant features. Awardees receive :
- a Scholarship of $40,000 which is tailored to the awardee’s individual needs to include tuition fees, living allowance, text books and equipment ; and
- an introduction to and a personal mentoring relationship with a volunteer mentor who is a recipient of the Order of Australia and is eminent in the chosen field of study of the awardee.
Selection of Scholarship Awardees
Every year the Foundation, in consultation with the generous donors who have provided the funding for individual scholarships, offers Scholarships to selected Universities. The Universities then call for applications for the awards. The selection of Scholarship awardees is guided by an independent National Selection Panel chaired by Professor Michael Hamerston and consisting of representatives from the Universities designated for the awards. The candidates are assessed on their academic achievements,
- potential as future leaders in their field of study,
- community involvement for the benefit of Australia,
- need for financial assistance to achieve their potential.
The Foundation has so far awarded 43 Scholarships to undergraduates covering all States and Territories and a further two will be awarded in 2021.